Manufacturers and merchants
How to organise your data standardisation project?
In this brief article our data standardisation experts have put together a few important considerations that might help manufacturers and merchants organise their data standardisation projects.
- Appoint a workgroup to lead the initiative for standardizing data within the company. The workgroup should consist of experts that have been involved in managing data within the company.
- Identify internal silos and data formats – PIM, IMS, local PC, web, pdf, excel, etc.
- Get in contact with the Define data management experts. They can support you by providing:
- Documentation, support materials, webinars
- Meetings, discussions
- Get access to Define. Based on your needs, our Define experts will provide an offer that includes access to the Define tool for different roles, training, etc.
- Start with why – define the information needs and use cases to be covered – e.g., making available structured data to stakeholders, perform calculations such as carbon footprint, cost, support BIM processes by enriching models with standardized data etc.
- Education phase – workshops on standardisation work, data dictionaries, data templates, product data sheets
- Create a context and users in Define
- Model your data through data templates by using a common language (data dictionary)
- Identify all the construction objects and the sources that will be described by using machine-readable and interoperable data templates – e.g., window, door, cladding
- Identify all the characteristics of construction objects that will be requested and exchanged by different actors. Think about a construction object from a holistic point of view – from manufacturing through design and construction to facility management.
- Create Product Data Sheets based on structured Data Templates
- Explore the possibilities for exposing your content to stakeholders/market and onboarding
- Public page
- Educational webinars
- Marketing campaign/ articles/ use cases/ interviews
- Maintenance of the logical data model and data auditing – ensure that consistent and up-to-date data reaches the industry
- Update your Product Data Sheets – make sure that PDS are updated whenever needed