Clients and contractors
How to organise your data standardisation project?
In this brief article our data standardisation experts have put together a few important considerations that might help clients and contractors organise their data standardisation projects.
- Appoint a workgroup to lead the data standardisation initiative within the company. The workgroup should consist of key experts from different departments that have been involved with managing data through different phases of the construction process. Consider involving external partners, such as preferred suppliers, who might contribute to defining the information needs during different project stages.
- Identify internal and external silos and data formats used within different projects– PIM, local PC, web, pdf, excel, 3D models, etc. How do project stakeholders exchange information and data requirements currently? What are the customers’ expectations?
- Get in contact with the Define data management experts. They can support you by providing:
- Documentation, support materials, webinars
- Meetings, discussions
- Get access to Define. Based on your needs, our Define experts will provide an offer that includes access to the Define tool for different roles, training, etc.
- Start with why – define the information needs and use cases to be covered – e.g., making available structured data, perform calculations such as carbon footprint, cost, support BIM processes by enriching models with standardised data etc.
- Educational phase – workshops and trainings on standardisation work and use of Define (Domain, Authorities, Data templates, Standards, etc.)
- Create a context and users in Define
- Model your data through data templates by using a common language (data dictionary)
- Identify all the construction objects and sources that will be described through machine-readable and interoperable data templates, e.g., window, door, cladding
- Identify all the Classification systems (both industry-recognised and/or company specific) used in the projects that could serve as a starting point to identify the required construction objects
- Identify all the characteristics of the construction objects that will be required. Think about a construction object from a holistic point of view – from manufacturing through design and construction to facility management.
- Explore the possibilities for exposing your content to different departments/subsidiaries and onboarding
- API (Application Program Interface)
- Public page
- Educational webinars
- Marketing campaign/ articles/ use cases/ interviews
- Maintenance of the logical data model and data auditing – ensure that consistent and up to date data is used within your company